Sunday, March 8, 2015

Challenge of the week: March 2nd, 2015

Location:  Center

Combination:  Preparation jumps for petit allegro

Step:  The full combination involved some eight counts of straight up-and-down jumps (first first fifth x2, or changement x8), then jump to second, jump to fifth, jump to fourth, double/triple pirouette, land fifth, entre chat quatre. 

Doing a double gives you a count to prepare, or a count to land in fifth after, but doing a triple felt better for me, timing-wise.

Challenge:  Landing the fourth position jump in such a way that you are prepared to immediately pirouette out of it. 


Success?: Yes!  And it was fabulous, because I had just had a horrific pirouette exercise--the floor was too slippery for me to maintain my turnout through the whole preparation.  Anyway, I put some water on my heels and bottom of the toes (closest to the arch) before this combination and went for the triple, and actually nailed it on both sides.  So that was cool. 

Tip:  Technique, technique, technique... whenever I physically and mentally engage my technique, and experience drastic improvements, I just laugh at myself for not having engaged it in the first place.  I actually remember to do turnout and core before pirouettes now. 

- Be soft and supported in the plié, not tense because you're anticipating going back up for the pirouette. 
- Remember all those tendu-temps liés through fourth and having the right sized fourth position, with your weight in the middle, immediately. 
- Support through the core and pelvis.  Because why not?  It'll make sure you don't collapse in the plié and lose that lovely buoyancy.  And it'll hold you together in your turn.  Just all kinds of good things.
- "Use the music."  It works for me, but might not for everybody.  Don't panic that you don't have time to slip slowly into the preparation and wiggle around getting it just right.  Pull out all the stops (technique-wise) and spot with the music.  If your technique isn't reliably there at speed, never fear!  Keep dancing and working at it.  It'll come.  

No comments:

Post a Comment