Tuesday, February 3, 2015

12 goals for 12 weeks

My left foot (Ankle? Hip?) is my weak one.  I think it's both physical and mental.  I get a little nervous every time I have to do something en pointe on my left leg.

In any case, the best demonstration of this is that I can do fouettes to the LEFT en pointe, but not to the right.  This is the opposite as in technique shoes, where I am better to the right.  My dominant rotational direction is clockwise (when viewing from above), or to the right.  But, en pointe, the weak foot trumps and my weaker turning direction is the only way that works (because it's on my stronger leg).

I'm supposed to be Summer Fairy in Cinderella this spring and it was described to me as a part that was "beautiful" and that needed a "STRONG" dancer, so now I'm really nervous that she's overestimated me.  So, I've made a resolution.  I made a PVC DIY barre, and I have wood floors at home, so I have no reason to not do this.

Conveniently, I have 12 goals for 12 weeks.  

General body goals for April 25 (performance date):

1.  Splits in both directions (I actually recently regained my ability to do splits to the right!!  I haven't been doing that since I was like 15.)
2.  Stronger iliopsoas for better extensions.  I might have to work on my dancer's hip on the left hip (it's more severe on that side)
3.  Get my modern abs back... I used to have pretty decent core strength.  No longer. 
4.  More flexible back.  The first thing I have to do is figure out my mattress problem.  I think I've got it sorted now, but I need more nights sleeping like this to be sure.
5.  I know this is not a big deal for ballet, but I want my modern triceps back, too...
6.  Work my stamina up.  I nearly died after that Dewdrop role.  

Leg/foot-specific goals:

7.  There's an upper inner quad muscle that I don't really have.  It comes from pulling up in balances.  I have them sufficiently to balance well in technique shoes but en pointe, those muscles fatigue very quickly.  I would like that muscle.
8.  Get my left foot to stop sickling in the passe.  I don't know why exactly it does this... I think it has to do with my left hip being weak/stuck from dancer's hip, and I'm kind of digging into my knee to hold it up.
9.  Strengthen both feet.  I want to be able to do bourrees and pas de courus for real and for long distances.  I mean, look at them.  Just look at them.     
10.  ESPECIALLY strengthen the left and make sure that I get into the mental habit of doing releves on it to full power.  I don't know if it's just that my right leg always does a full, strong releve and my left doesn't, or if my right leg actually gets away with a bad one too but is better formed/stronger/etc. and so it doesn't matter.
11.  I want to be able to do one-footed eleves on both legs...
12.  I want to be able to do at least 8 fouettes in both directions (consistently).  I'm almost there for the left side but obviously to the right, on the left leg, is much weaker.  It's not that I can't do ANY fouettes.  I just lose it faster.

Most of these will take daily work, though I'm a fan of alternating days so that muscles don't just get tired and worn out.  I don't know exactly what to do about iliopsoas strengthening.  I did a couple of exercises two weeks ago, and the next day I had class, and the adagio KILLED.  I don't want to be that sore for class.  Perhaps I need to do exercises with less intensity. 

Today I started on my leg/foot goals by putting on my dying pointe shoes and doing the exercise we start pointe class with: grand plie, roll up to full pointe IN the grand plie, straighten up, roll down, do three times each in first and second, plus a normal releve and balance; two times in fifth (the hardest position) with two releves and a port de bras forward and back in sousu.  My hips and upper inner quads scream at me every week for this exercise.  So... I'm going to do them more than once a week. (Stop screaming, or I'll give you something to scream about?)

No comments:

Post a Comment