Saturday, February 14, 2015

Challenge of the week: February 9th, 2015

I'm going to start a "challenge of the week."  The classes I take with the company usually have one truly difficult thing (for me... lol) per week, which THEY all work on all week and then I come in on Fridays and am the one flapping around.  The Saturday class usually goes better, haha. 

I actually want to give one from two weeks ago, because it's the one that made me want to do this. 


Location:  Center

Combination: Adagio

Step:  Sousu in croise, arms a la seconde.  Slow port de bras forward while on full demi (or 3/4, whatever your studio calls it) point, moving arms to fifth as normal at the bottom.  Come back up.
 
Challenge:  Holding your glutes and quads firm enough to balance while changing your center of gravity quite drastically.  Coming back up is much harder, though I'm not sure if that is due to the fact that your muscles are tired, or because it's merely the switch in momentum/direction. 

Success?:  We did the adagio twice on Friday and twice on Saturday.  I got it the second time on Saturday on both sides. The first time on Saturday I made it down but had to fling myself back up instead of doing it slowly. 

Tip: Keep your eyes focused more or less as you would for a penche.  That is, in a straight line out, or perhaps a little above where a straight line from your eyes would be.  At the barre, we normally do pdbras with our face turned to the side, but that just makes it unreasonably difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment